From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1993 14:27:08 EST
Bob comments on what he likes and dislikes about HOCKEY-L ...
(Most comments not shown).

   Please make any comments about HOCKEY-L, what shouldn't be there, etc
   privately to a poster or to the administrator.  HOCKEY-L, is a lot of
   different things to each of us, but it is a collection of fans (see
   file HOCKEY-L WELCOME in the archives at [log in to unmask]).

      (I don't have anything against polls, as long as they are done off
      the list and then just a summary posted.  In fact, I find Bill
      Fenwick's poll and comments to be quite enlightening)!

>to hear what is going on in college hockey - game summaries, rankings,
>important news about college hockey, etc. The list used to do just that.

   The list at that time "covered" a relatively small number of teams.
   4 or 5 years ago we had about 75 subscribers.  We have more than
   ten times that now.   This list is for fans, and 1,000+ fans have
   a variety of interests!  As long as people are on topic, honest,
   respectful and not trivial ... I think we'll do well.  I think,
   by in large, we are that now.

>Today, however, there just seems to be too much "fluff" and irrelevant
>material. I know of several players and coaches who joined the list and then
>"unjoined" because of this problem. ...

   The volume on HOCKEY-L is too much for most busy people.  That a lot
   of postings are irrelevant to some, doesn't mean they are fluff.

   That some players and coaches listen on HOCKEY-L is great, but I
   don't understand the subset of postings that would be a draw to the
   administrators, coaches, players and SIDs (if you do, please let me
   know by private mail).

> ... Do we really need to see messages
>containing things like "go <your favorite team>"?

   I feel confidant that listeners and writers on HOCKEY-L are vastly
   more knowledgeable about their league and all of college hockey than
   90% of the fans that attend games at their school.

   Whenever you get down because of frivolous mail from HOCKEY-L, have a
   look at Netnews/UsenetNews group rec.sport.hockey ...  you'll feel
   blessed!  :-)

Yours in College Hockey
wayne

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]