From:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1993 11:21:17 EDT
Ralph N. Baer notes several schools as possibly non Div. I:

> Alaska-Anchorage, Alaska-Fairbanks, Clarkson, Duluth, Ill-Chicago,
> LSSU, Lowell, Merrimack, Michigan Tech, N. Mich, RPI, St. Cloud, St.
> Lawrence, Union, and W. Mich.

Well, Western Michigan is most definitely division I.  They are members of
the Mid America Conference which includes the following schools:

    Bowling Green     (CCHA)
    Toledo
    Akron
    Kent              (CCHA)
    Ohio
    Miami             (CCHA)
    Central Michigan
    Eastern Michigan
    Western Michigan  (CCHA)
    Ball State

Also, I don't know about all sports at the University of Ilinios at Chicago,
but they do field a Division I basketball team which shares the confines of
the Pavilion which was built in 1982.  As the story goes, the NC$$, in their
infinite wisdom, damn near precluded UIC from competing in Div. I basketball
because they did not have a large enough average home attendance in 1981.  Of
course the facility which they repalced when they built the Pavilion did not
hold a large enough crowd that they could have possibly met that criterion.
And so they were almost faced with having built a beautiful building for
basketball and hockey and then not being able to play at the top level.

     - Pat

- Dadgummit Blah! --------------------- Some folks have a birdseye view ----
- Department of Chemistry ------------- While others haven't got a clue ----