From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1993 15:26:52 EDT
Mike writes:

>To keep this related to college, what I have found interesting is that
>over the last ten years or so, we have gradually seen more and more
>college players able to enter the NHL and make an immediate impact.
>It was not like that at all in the early 80s, or even in the mid 80s
>(look at Murphy, Oates and Terreri, among others - they took time).
>But in the last year or two, we have had players like Juneau,
>McEachern, Drake, Hiller, Blake, Amonte, Tkachuk, etc. enter the NHL
>and within a year or two, each had become vital to his team's success.

I like this trend, and I suspect that with the NHL's recent (over)expansion,
we'll see even more collegians making the quick jump to NHL stardom.  One
thing about this trend, though, is that it doesn't appear to be happening
with goalies much -- perhaps because they have more work to do in adjusting
to the pro game, which might make the higher-ups a little more reluctant to
give them opportunities early.  Coaches can hide a college forward on the
third or fourth line, or they can bury a defenseman deep in the pairings,
and if it turns out that the guy isn't an NHL-caliber player yet, well, the
team at least has a chance of covering for him during that shift.  But if
you've got a goalie who's not ready for the big show, and the opposition
blows a few quick goals by him, then all of a sudden your whole team is in
trouble.

As far as the signings of Rogles and Soucy go, it's probably a good move for
Chicago given the supposed uncertain situation with Belfour, but I think
it'll be a while (if ever) before we see either one in a Blackhawks uniform,
even if Belfour winds up leaving.  As far as Soucy is concerned, I think
he's a little better off than Parris Duffus was when he signed with St.
Louis, since Soucy has had two years of on-ice collegiate experience to
Duffus' one.  Then again, Duffus is a few years older...
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94