From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1993 09:21:55 EDT
(lots deleted)...
> * Holding, picking, or pinching a player excessively against the boards
>     after the puck has been played;
> * Interference that affects a prime goal-scoring opportunity, and

   O boy, more rules that will last about 2 weeks. :-)

> * Added wording to Rule 6-15-c-10 so that a goal shall not be allowed if the
> goal cage has been moved or dislodged.

   Hmmm.  My 1993 Rules book does not have an item 10!

   Also, does this mean that a goal such as the one that Maine did *not*
   score against Michigan will still not count, with replay, next year?

> * Added a new rule (Rule 6-30-f) so that if a player intentionally is pushed
> offside, the offside violation shall be nullified and play will continue.

   Sheezh, if a player is intentionally pushed offsides, call an
   interference penalty.  Now a linesman will not only have to determine
   who is where when the puck enters the zone, but how they got there,
   and discern the intentions of a defender.  Bad rule.

> * Revised the wording slightly in Rule 6-15-c-8 so that a goal shall not be
> allowed if an attacking player intentionally propels or deflects the puck
> other than with the stick, or illegally with the stick, and it bounds or
> deflects off the person or equipment of any defensive player into the net.

   So if the offensive team takes a slap shot from the point, it is
   deflected off the body of an offensive player in front of the net,
   and the goalie re-deflects the puck *into* the net ...  NO GOAL, if
   the referee "determines" the initial deflection to be intentional!?
   :(

> * Voted to allow the Hockey East Conference and the Western Collegiate Hockey
> Association to experiment with shoot-outs to decide games that are tied after
> overtime.

   I doubt that Hockey East does anything with this, at least this
   season.  Apparently some coaches/ADs want the winner of the shoot-out
   to get 2 points and the loser to get one point.  But they also don't
   want shoot-outs to affect league standings.  Of course a change of
   scoring may affect standings , so unless someone changes their mind I
   think we'll see no HE (league game) shoot-outs.

In other Hockey East news, you may expect the association to name a new
commissioner this summer.  Stuart Haskell, also Commissioner of the
North Atlantic Conference (8 schools and 20 sports), is expected to step
down.  He originally agreed to head HEast for two years and has agreed
to extensions each of the past two years.  New duties especially in the
area of Athletic Department accreditations apparently entered into
Haskell's decision.

Your guess is better than mine with regard to a replacement.  Dr. Noni
Daly has ably and energetically run the day to day operations of HEast
recently (as Asst Commish).  I would expect pressures from some to move
the league office to the Boston area (from Orono) and that would suggest
another candidate.  On the other hand, HEast is run without any
participating institution dues.  One might expect a new commissioner and
a Boston-area office to put a strain the current budget.

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]