From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1993 16:43:34 -0500
Here are a few thoughts as I have returned today from the
American Hockey Coaches Association (AHCA) Convention which
was held this past week in Naples, Florida.  Please, save
the jokes about why do college hockey coaches meet in florida
in April - we may look dumb but we are no stupid !!!!

Anyway:
1. Shawn Walsh takes over as the AHCA nwe president - he
   was vice pres. - Don Brose (Mankato) is the outgoing
   president and did a great job for his tenure.  Shawn
   as many of you know is a "mover and shaker" and already
   he has given us some new ideas for marketing college
   hockey and will be a very active president - if he does'nt
   go to the pro's

2. Hockey - L was mentioned at the convention - some coaches
   are aware of this network - and I know a few are listening
   in but really shy away from active discussion.  Coach
   Ric Shafer mentioned to me that he knew I was on hockey-l
   and in fact was quite proud about getting his button in
   Milwaukee - he asked me if I got my button ???  I could
   not make Milwaukee.  His mention of the button should
   make Carol happy.

3. An interesting discussion took place regarding the
   NC$$ D-I championship selection and seeding process.
   Many of the coaches (I believe) have little
   idea of what the RPI (rating index) looks like in
   the last weeks of the season.  The NC$$ uses a
   RPI index to rate the top teams in order to
   select the top 12.  How does hockey - l rating
   match to the committees ?????  Does anyone know ???

4. The U.S. Olympic Festival July 23 - August 1
   will be in San Antonio.  It will consist
   (from what we were told at the meetings)
   of mostly UNDER 20 year olds.  The Olympic
   team will be primarily picked by then.  The
   evaluations for olympic hopefuls has been going
   on during this past year - but - the tryouts -
   will be in Lake Placid May 30 - June 6 and
June 12 - June 20.  BUT keep in mind that the
coaching staff (Tim taylor, etc.) who are in
Europe at the World's - decide who they want
and can use college and some pro's (AHL, IHL, etc.).

5. This was my first year on hockey-l and it was
    very informative - my hats off to Wayne for
  keeping the discussion "focused" and professional.
  I would aslo add that Mike M should stay as active
  as possible because his views and information
  are top notch - "quality stuff".

Thanks for letting me on board.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College