From:
Carol_White USA! <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1993 00:30:48 -0400
The annual Gopher awards banquet was held this evening with approximately 300
players, family and fans in attendance.

The new 1992-93 Gopher Highlight film was played on a TV for those that could
get close enough for a peek. I saw bits and pieces of it and it is another fine
 job by Midwest Sports Channel and Doug McLeod.

I'll cut to the chase and announce the award winners now:

Dr V.George Nagobads Award for the Unsung Hero - goalie Tom Newman (senior)

Elwin "Doc" Romnes Leadership & Sportsmanship - forward Craig Johnson (junior)

Mike Crupi Most Determined Player             - forward Scott Bell (junior)

John Mayasich Outstanding Athlete             - forward Jeff Nielsen (junior)

Frank Pond Rookie of the Year                 - defenseman Dan Trebil (frosh)

John Mariucci Most Valuable Player            - defensman Travis Richards
                                                 (senior & captain)

We also heard remarks from all the seniors present, Tom Newman, Dave Norqual,
and John Brill. Travis Richards, who is in Germany with Team USA had assistant
coach Bill Butters read some thoughts that he had written down for the
occasion.

There was also a sort of tribute to Mariucci Arena and the memories it has
given several coaches and Star Tribune Hockey writer John Gilbert. Doug Woog
read some of the history of the arena to the  crowd that sat in rapt attention.
It was a fitting end to a great season of Gopher hockey.

-Carol