From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 12:19:06 -0500
Regarding Jim Love's posting concerning Prop. 31 & the other comments:  I
haven't seen the specific legislation that was passed, so I may be putting my
foot in mouth, but in any event:

First, to clarify the "limited to 30 athletes."  That refers to a rule
stipulating that the 18 scholarships cannot be split more than 30 ways;
e.g., a hockey coach cannot give out 36 half-scholarships.

Second, the rule that was passed is indeed intended to prevent teams from
hiding "counters" (an NCAA term for a student-athlete receiving an athletic
grant).  It would stipulate that, for example, someone playing hockey and
another sport (except football or basketball) must be considered a "counter" in
hockey.  I personally can't understand the fuss over this...UNLESS your
institution is hiding a number of scholarship hockey players in other minor
sports (baseball comes to mind).  The rule ought to help make for a more level
playing field for Div. I hockey teams, which I suspect is the reason the
proposition was put forward by some hockey schools (Prop. 31 was NOT the
brainchild of an NCAA bureaucrat in Overland Park, Kansas!).  One could see
this change as a recognition of hockey's improving status:  the only other male
sports so specified are football and basketball (there's also a similar
provision concerning swimming & waterpolo).

Finally, IMHO, any talk about hockey seceding from the NCAA is absurd.  In due
time it would only result in the demise of major college hockey.  Ice hockey is
an expensive sport; institutions which need it to keep their Div. I status
(minimum of 14 sports sponsored) would quickly shift those funds elsewhere if
hockey is not part of their NCAA obligation (particularly in view of the
looming gender-equity issue).  I grant that such might not be a problem for
schools such as Michigan, Ohio State, and other large-scale programs, but I
guarantee it would be a problem for many others, especially in the East.  Don't
ask the coaches if this is true; ask the finance vice-presidents.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                                 BITNET:   ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                                     PHONE:  (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                                FAX:  (716) 888-2525