From:
LARE BUD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1992 10:41:00 CST
My name is Larry Mangelsen, a student at the University of Wisconsin at Eau
Claire, a Senior.  I am enrolled in a History class of Sport in American Life.
We were required to subscribe to a bulletin board so I chose this one (it
looked most attractive).  I am not a close follower of hockey but enjoy
watching good games.  Another requirement of the class was to use the knowledge
we have gained from class and post a message on our respective boards.

I'd like to add to the discussion on allowing NHL players to participate in the
Olympic Games.

  Many sports began as games to take children out of the way.  But popularity
grows and several young men engage in the sport.  Baseball, as an example, went
through a period of Club Based teams: amateurs who enjoyed playing.  But people
enjoyed watching and wanted increased competition therefore practically forcing
professional teams.  Other sports have gone through the same stages of
children's games to amateur clubs,teams, or groups to professional levels.
Another stage parralleling pro level is the Big Business aspect of sports.

  My point is that the Olympics are following sports in society.  The games
were for amateurs when there was a wide majority of amateurs available.
However the BEST athletes the USA has are the pros.  It is unfortunate that
because of the Big Business of Sport that so many other establishments receive
benefits (like McDonalds with the Dream Team) but that is the stage of Sport,
Big Business.

  I do agree that porfessionals in the Olympics will effect the level of play
in the Olympics, however, my fear is that the professional player in the
Olympics will lose what he/she is playing for: An Olympic Gold for the USA!

                                       Thanks,

                                       Larry J. Mangelsen.