From:
John Grover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1992 08:47:31 EDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] says:

>Regarding the 1991-92 UPSIDA stats, it's interesting to note that Scott
>Pellerin is nowhere to be found among the scoring leaders.  One would
>think that the Hobey Baker winner, playing for the third highest scoring
>team in the nation, would rack up some points here and there.  Hmm?

 Did you read the same stats you posted?  Nowhere to be found among
 the leaders?  It looks to me like Scott was 5th for Total Goals, 7th
 for Goals per Game, and 6th for Shorthanded Goals.  And these stats
 don't show in any way the kind of inspirational team leader Scott
 was both on and off the ice.  Nor do they show his ability to play
 both ends, nor his contribution to the community here and around the
 University of Maine.  All of these are qualities important to
 winning the Hobey -- it is NOT a just a top scorer's award, but an
 award to the kind of individual both on and off the ice that we all
 like to see involved in the sport.

>With my final(?) pitch, I'll once again say that it's a shame that Denny
>Felsner and Darrin Madeley received little or no recognition.

 There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that every Hobey candidate
 deserved the award, and for those who did not get it just being
 considered is great recognition.  I hope this is your final pitch
 (the question mark notwithstanding) because I think you have whined
 quite enough about this.

John Grover
Computing Center
University of Maine