From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 03:21:29 -0400
At 9-15-2010 04:15 PM, Sara M. Fagan wrote:
>I was checking out some pictures of SLU's freshman orientation on
>SLU's website.  It appears that they give each freshman a
>cowbell.  I wonder if they were told that the NCAA won't allowthem
>at hockey games.

As Far As I Know, the NCAA rule applies to giving away noisemakers
*at games* as premiums.  Any rule about bringing noisemakers into the
area is the decision of the individual arena management.

Again AFAIK, this rule goes back some 30-odd years to when RPI gave
out cowbells one year, and those horns which we now know and loathe
as vuvuzelas another.  It apparently also applies to thunder
sticks.  RPI gave those out a year or so back, although you could
only get one at the gate.  Even so, it seems that a number of them
had been draped over seat backs prior to people being admitted to the
Field House.  (Mercifully, not a lot of people used them for their
intended purpose.)

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at: