From:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:34:06 -0400
Erik has hit upon the main issue here:  whether the CHA has enough teams
to justify its autobid.  The corresponding problem here though is
whether college hockey has enough teams to justify a 16-team tournament.
I've always been in favor of CHA and AH having their autobids because
IMHO it's good for hockey.  But if the CHA falls by the wayside, then
the NC$$ may scale back the 16-team tourney.  And that's bad for hockey.

The 16-team tournament is great.  There are no byes, the selection
process is relatively transparent, and the games are exciting.  Most
years I can get to at least one regional, and some years I can drive to
six games in three days.  I'd hate to see it go away.  But if the CHA
dies, or if the NC$$ says six teams or else (and I'll believe more
universities like Syracuse will go varsity when I see it), then we may
have to resort to the horrible 12-team format.

Do CHA teams suck compared to everyone else?  Using Nathan's logic, I'd
say they do.  I would bet that a lot of premier D-3 teams would give
anyone in that conference a run for their money.  But is that what Rick
Comley is saying?  If so, then he should be careful what he wishes for,
because he might just be spending a lot of time in front of a television
set.  And the last I checked he was supposed to be an advocate for
college hockey.

________
Edward N. Moller
Controller and Assistant Treasurer
Mount Ida College
777 Dedham Street
Newton, MA  02459-3323
Tel  617-928-4515
Fax 617-928-4581

Mount Ida College provides a diverse community of learners a challenging
education that blends the liberal arts with professional preparation.
We dedicate our energy, imagination, and resources to empowering all
students to achieve academically and contribute responsibly in a
changing world.