From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:38:35 -0500
For Immediate Release
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director, (508) 990-9651  [log in to unmask]
Wednesday, January 25, 2006

UMASS DARTMOUTH BLANKS SUFFOLK, 8-0

NEW BEDFORD, MA– Sophomore forward Jeff Grant (Burlington, MA/Austin Prep) scored three goals, his line mate, junior forward Kyle McCullough (Danvers, MA/Boston Junior Blackhawks) added three assists and freshman goaltender Jon Dryjowicz-Burek (Ludlow, MA/Springfield Jr. Falcons) stopped 19 shots for his third shutout of the season as the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth hockey team won their 10th game in a row, defeating visiting Suffolk, 8-0, at the Stephen Hetland Memorial Ice Arena Wednesday evening.

Grant opened the scoring on the Corsairs’ second shot of the game, taking McCullough’s pass and tipping it behind Ram goalie Greg Blais at 1:45 of the first period. Junior forward Jim Foley (Brockton, MA/Catholic Memorial HS) also drew an assist.

Senior forward Ian Seaver (Ludlow, MA/Springfield Cathedral HS) made it 2-0 a little more than six minutes later, taking a pass from senior forward P.J. Lovett after a clean face-off win in the offensive zone and ripping a wrist shot high into the net. Senior forward Mike McPherson (Chelsea, MA/Brewster Academy) also drew an assist. Grant made it 3-0 at the 16:35 mark when his shot from a bad angle ricocheted past Blais. McCullough and Lindner assisted.

Grant made it 4-0 1:45 into the second period, tipping home McCullough’s goalmouth pass. Senior defenseman Dave Cioch (Springfield, MA/New England Jr. Coyotes) also assisted. Lindner’s first goal of the game, assisted by senior forward Eric Frank (Waltham, MA/Traverse City Enforcers) and junior forward Ray Kirby (Fairhaven, MA/York Stars/Salem State), made it 5-0 after the second period. Goals by Lovett, Lindner and sophomore defenseman Tyler Crocker (Wakefield, MA/Wakefield HS) in the third period completed the scoring.
 “I thought we played well, and scored some nice goals” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “Jon played well again in goal, and we made some nice plays in transition. We are continuing to kill penalties very well, and keep our goals-against average down. We’ve got a big game coming up against Fitchburg Saturday. It’s a rivalry just like New Bedford and Durfee.”

UMD improved to 14-4-0 and 7-1-0 in the ECAC Northeast Conference with the victory, winning their 10th game in a row and 11th in their last 12 games. Suffolk fell to 4-8-4 and 3-4-1 in ECAC Northeast play. The Corsairs will return to action when they host Fitchburg State Saturday afternoon.

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY

BOX SCORE

Suffolk					0	0	0-0
UMass Dartmouth       			3	2	3-8

FIRST PERIOD

1, UMD – Jeff Grant (Kyle McCullough, Jim Foley) 1:22
2, UMD – Ian Seaver (P.J. Lovett, Mike McPherson) 7:29
3, UMD – Jeff Grant (Kyle McCullough, Peter Lindner) 16:35 PPG
SECOND PERIOD

4, UMD – Jeff Grant (Kyle McCullough, Dave Cioch ) 1:45
5, UMD – Pete Lindner (Eric Frank, Ray Kirby) 3:53

THIRD PERIOD

6, UMD – P.J. Lovett (Peter Lindner, Mike McNulty) 14:51 PPG
7, UMD – Peter Lindner (unassisted) 15:08
8, UMD – Tyler Crocker (Paul Carr, Ray Kirby) 19:20 PPG

SHOTS: Suffolk- 19 ; UMD -45.
SAVES: Suffolk – Greg Blais, 37; UMD – Jon Dryjowicz-Burek, 19.
PENALTIES/MINUTES:  Suffolk – 9/18 ; UMD – 4/8.
POWER-PLAY GOALS/OPPORTUNITIES:  Suffolk- 0/3; UMD – 3/8.