From:
Charles Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1992 16:50:57 -0700
> Date: 18 Mar 92 12:24:35 -0500 (EST)
> From: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: % of teams
> To: Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L <[log in to unmask]>

Mike writes about a tourney involving ALL 45 teams

> Not that I agree with this...but how about an open tournament?  With 45 DivI
> teams this season, give byes to the top 19 and let the remaining 26 play a
> single-game first rounder.  That gives us 32 teams left.  Send 8 teams to
> each of four regional sites and you can determine a regional winner in one
> weekend, maybe four days:
>   Thur: 8 vs 1, 5 vs 4
>   Fri:  6 vs 3, 7 vs 2
>   Sat:  8-1/5-4 winners, 6-3/7-2 winners
>   Sun:  regional final
> Regional winners advance to the final four the next weekend.  This or some
> variation can be done in three weekends.
>
> But, you STILL have the problem of how to seed teams...
>

> - mike

not to disagree with you, mike, but seeding is easy.  You just put 45
names in a hat and pull them out in order.  I can guarantee that in
any year that procedure will produce a seeding for some team that is
more in line with that team's ability than any other method will
produce.  Random selection sometimes makes more sense than the polls
or the computer ratings anyway.

charlie shub  [log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
  or even         (719) 593-3492