From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:39:53 -0600
> In a review of the WCHA nc games in 2004-05, I counted 7 or 8 for all
> teams except Minn (9) and Anchorage (6). But, what struck me is that Nodak
> played all 8 of their nc games away, with 4 against HE teams, which may
> help explain why they are going to Columbus. Wisconsin, on the other hand,
> played only 2 of their 8 nc games away, and no games against HE, which may
> help explain why they are not going to Columbus.

[Note that two of Wisconsin and Minnesota's home NC games were the
College Hockey Showcase, which alternates between Wisconsin/Minnesota
hosting and Michigan/MSU hosting]

as a loyal Badger fan, I'd say they aren't going to Columbus because
they lost games that they should have won, or needed to win. Playing
more nc games on the road wouldn't have made a diffence. Scoring more
goals, and keeping their focus for the *entire* game would have made a
difference.

That may sound harsh, but I don't mean it to be. If they had won a
couple of key games, in addition to earning a few more points (in the
regular season) or advancing in the tournament, the confidence and
momentum probably would have helped them win a few more games.  I won't
do the whole whats-with-the-badgers analysis here...

Watching the badgers during the last five years or so, I've really begun
to appreciate (more than before) some of the mental aspects of the game
that I previously dismissed, and also to see how fine a line there is
between a pretty good team (Wisconsin this year, even if their NCAA game
vs. Michigan was pretty bad), and a great team.

    --david