From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:46:36 -0800
Much more interesting discussion than usual.

Seems to me a better model is a joint venture between the NCAA and the host school.  The NCAA
should have expertise about running a tournament, and the host could provide local support and
expertise. And for the cost, it seems to me that the NCAA should guarantee that the host doesn’t
lose money.  Perhaps that would allow more schools to bid for regionals.

It also points out some of the other differences between east and west.  For example, the DCU
Center aka the Worcester Centrum has a full time marketing department.  I’m guessing that BU has
to put out considerably less of their own resources than Western Michigan.

To the extent that there is financial exposure, I think that puts a little different twist on the
common comeback to complaints about Team X getting to play on home ice.  We typically say, “Well,
put in a bid to be a host.”  If there’s financial exposure, then that means that not all schools
are equally able to bid for regionals.  And to the extent that they provide manpower, etc, it
seems to me that the Athletic Department at, say, the University of Michigan has a bit more
manpower than the Athletic Department at, say, Lake Superior State.