From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:43:53 -0500
At 12:36 PM 3/20/2005 -0500, Doug Peterson wrote:
>Personally, I was hoping that Minnesota would end up as #5 so the
>discussion about not deserving #4 would not happen.  But in any event,
>Cornell was heading to Minnesota with the idea that #4 and #5 are going
>to be in the same region.

Not necessarily.  Had Cornell been #4 and Minnesota #5, we would have had
two Eastern and two Western #1 seeds, and Cornell would have been the top
seed in Amherst rather than Denver (who I guess would have wound up at
Mariucci).  Then the committee would have attempted to preserve the #4-#5
matchup with Minnesota, but they would have been unable to do so, as
Minnesota is a host team and would have stayed in their home regional.

All other things being equal, Minnesota, as the fourth and last #1 seed,
should have been the Western team sent to Amherst -- but, drat the luck,
they're the West regional host, and have to stay there.

--
Bill Fenwick                                                 DJF   5/27/94
Cornell '86 and '95                                          JCF   12/2/97