Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1992 08:21:30 EST
Facts:

  - Michigan 4 BGSU 2
  - Denny Felsner picked up an assist and a goal (both in the 2nd period)
to become Michigan's all-time leading scorer with 247 points.
  - three stars:   1. Felsner, UM
                   2. Steve Shields, UM
                   3. Ted Kramer, UM
  - I had the pleasure of meeting Hockey-L's Keith Instone, a genuinely
pleasant individual.

Observations:

  - BGSU could have easily beaten UMich had they capitalized on some of
their early chances.  As it was, they were down too far (4-0) to come back.
  - Neither team was too pleased with the officiating, nor had reason to be.
Rutherford didn't call much, and when he did it was mostly offsetting double
minors.
  - Rutherford called a pair of double minors on each team with a little
more than three minutes remaining in the game and Michigan up 4-1.  In the
ensuing 3-on-3, Coach York pulled his goalie and BGSU promptly scored to
make it 4-2.  Immediately following the face-off BGSU gained control of the
puck and again left the net empty.  In all, the BGSU net had to have been
empty for 2:00-2:30.  During this time, BGSU controlled the play and Michigan
was never able to even think of taking a shot at the empty net.
  - Clarke looked O.K. in goal for BGSU.  No one in the CCHA can be taken
lightly in the future with promising freshman goalies such as Clarke and
UIC's Hillebrandt in the fold.
  - Steve Shields played better than average in net for UM, but still made
several saves while sprawled on his back with arms and legs waving (he
looked like he was making snow angels).  Shields plays goal like a fish
out of water.

On the fun side:

  - The Michigan fans (including myself) continued to jeer BSGU's Bret
Harkins - a situation that started earlier this season.  Harkins responded
with a pair of fingers to the UM crowd.  He was one of the 4 players that
hit the dressing room early.

On the taking the fun out of it side:

  - First we can't throw hats.  Now last night I couldn't put a sign on the
glass counting Felsner's points (I had 245, 246 and 247 made up and ready
to go).  All Michigan fans we asked to remove their signs and their C-YA
cards from the glass.  However, several BGSU banners such as "MICHIGAN GO
BLOW" and other rude comments directed individually at UMich players were
allowed to remain hung from the isles.  Very poor (both on the part of
the Yost security and BGSU fans).  The topper, however, is that the M GO
BLUE shop located in Yost Ice Arena has decided in their infinite wisdom
NOT to carry CCHA CHAMPIONS shirts.  Weak!  Had it been the football team,
shirts would have been plastered all over Ann Arbor by now.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan('89,'90)
1991-92 CCHA CHAMPIONS - but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.