From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:04:56 -0600
The truth is we (hockey-l participants not at Clarkson and on the ice at the time) do not and perhaps cannot actually know what went on.  We get stories.  The "fact" that 6 players apparently came up with the same story and the coach chose not to attempt to refute it suggests to me that the story was true - but that's only a guess.

The suggestion, however, that someone who chooses not to even refute an accusation because the administration should know enough about him to dismiss the charges is in any way a viable defense is, IMO, wrong.  Coach Morris wouldn't be the first human being with a good and long service record who inexplicably lost his cool and did something completely out of character.  I know nothing about the man in the first place and am merely assuming the attack on the player was out of character.  Maybe he's done things like this before; maybe he just learned distressing family news; maybe anything.  People live lives outside of their professions and sometimes those lives impact on professional performance.  Thus, "You know me so should dismiss the charges" doesn't seem like much of a defense to me.  Indeed, it merely serves to suggest the coach either knows a defense is pointless because the charges are true or that he has an ego problem.  At best, such a defense is arrogant.

Just one opinion, of course.

Tom Rowe                            UWSP dept of Psych
Home of Division III National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners-up 92 & 98