From:
Richard McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 05:46:50 -0400
On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:20:35 -0500, Carol White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There was a different referee Saturday night, was the Friday night game
>ref ill, or is this a league pecularity?

I believe the referee was Jeff Bunyon, who worked the previous night's game
between Boston College and Denver.  Because of the close proximity of many
of the Hockey East schools, it isn't unusual for referees to work different
games on a weekend here.  The only place where the same ref tends to work
both games of a weekend is Maine, which is farther away from the population
centers near Massachusetts.

In general, I like this idea, as it lets the refs work different teams and
does not build up resentments or complaints from one night to the next.  It
does mean that teams have to adjust to a different ref's style and
tendencies, but they have to do that on a regular basis anyway and is what
they will face come tournament time.  I find that the increasing number of
teams and cross-country scheduling has made the style of play more uniform
and consistent, and I think the refereeing is getting that way, too.  I
don't hear as many complaints as I used to that a particular ref or
league's refs work differently than other refs.  Another good thing, I
think.

-- Rick M.