Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:38:52 -0700
At 11:56 PM 03-28-01 -0600, John T. Whelan wrote:
>It could be the fact that no member of the MAAC has been anywhere near
>the top 25, let alone the top 12, in any rating system that adequately
>addresses strength of schedule.

Yes, let's make the decision by use of mathematical formula rather than by
seeing who puts more pucks in the net.

With strength of schedule, we're talking about a relative number that
penalizes not only teams but entire leagues, and and not just the MAAC and
CHA teams -- it's a common problem for the ECAC, too. Going by KRACH, the
highest-ranked SOS for an ECAC team was Harvard at #32.

Not one Hockey East team had an SOS better than 12th overall (BU) or lower
than 26th (Lowell); the others fall in betweem with #13 BC, #14
Northeastern, #15 Maine, #17 Providence, #19 UNH, and #20 UMass.

I guess their SOS ratings all suffer because they're too busy beating up on
each other.

KRACH and all the others are fun to look at from time to time, but they
serve no purpose when it comes to the tournament. There is only one rating
system that matters, and that is the NCAA's PWR.

In the PWR, the MAAC has three teams in the top 25: #13 Mercyhurst, #17
Quinnipiac, and #18 Canisius. Considering that the NCAA chooses 12 teams
for it's tournament, I think it's quite just that the MAAC had one
representative there.