From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:13:08 +0800
Deron Treadwell writes:

>Being a Maine fan, I've had my share of disagreements on this list over
>the years with UNH and BU faithful.  But stories I am hearing out of New
>Hampshire in the wake of the Maine/UNH series should make all college
>hockey fans proud.
>
>First, the UNH boosters raised money Friday night for the coaches
>foundation, which was established to help coaches like Shawn Walsh who
>become ill (in Walsh's case with kidney cancer) with medical expenses.
>The boosters put up their share of the 50-50 to the foundation, which was
>worth as I understand it over $2000.

FYI the "UNH boosters" are called the Friends of UNH Hockey.  The Friends
have been in existence for almost 30 years and have consistently given a
big "boost" to mens hockey at UNH.  Additional FYI, the Friends' share of
the 50/50 Friday night was $2400 and change and, although it was a
substantial amount, personally I was disappointed that it wasn't larger.
Two years ago when UNH and Maine battled for the Hockey East regular season
championship at the Whit, the winners share of the 50/50 one night was over
$2800.

>This check was presented to Walsh after the first period of the Saturday
>night game and according the radio account here in Maine, most (if not
>all) of the fans at UNH stood and cheered.
>
>I also believe Walsh was the guest of honor at the Friends of UNH Hockey
>lunch on Saturday.  It appears that people there were very respectful of
>Walsh and were interested in his health, the team and his assessment of
>the UNH team as well.

Walshy was very entertaining.  He has always had good observations and
insight about hockey in general and the college game in particular. His
comments regarding his own team were very realistic and his views on UNH
were very flattering.  I hope we can meet his expectations.  When asked
which NCAA rules in particular he would change, his comeback was that "I'm
probably not the right one to ask about that."  All in all, he was very
glib, although I wish he had been a little more forthright about the Colin
Shields situation.  But, I guess, how could he, eh?

>UNH fans have been some of the more vocal opponents of Walsh over the
>years, but I am personally very proud of our neighbors for the class that
>they showed this weekend.  They are a credit to college hockey.

I wish that some of the bozos on the USCHO message board could see this.
Thanks.

>On the same note, Walsh noted on the radio that as he was coming off the
>ice following the presentation of the check to the coaches foundation, a
>fan yelled at him (UNH fan).. "We are praying for you coach."  To which
>someone near them counted, "Yeah, but we still think you are an SOB."
>Walsh found this exchange amusing.

I'm afraid this is akin to a politician's opening joke. He told the same
story at the Coaches Club function which was held before the game where he
was presented the check.  Just a little embellishment, I guess.

>Also, it really appears that UNH coach Dick Umile and Walsh have a close
>relationship.  Walsh spoke on the radio of riding to the lunch together
>with Umile and how they talk regularly.  Umile has openly been one of
>Walsh's best supporters since diagnosed with his illness.

Although I can only guess, the fact that Umile had his own brush with death
a few years ago I think gives you some perspective on things.  It is only a
game after all.  Although, I wouldn't mind seeing some feisty young coaches
come into the league and stir things up a bit.  Too many guys in their
50's, myself included!

>These types of things soften the "sting" of a 4-1 loss Saturday to the
>rival Wildcats, but we'll try for the split in early Feb.  Thank you to
>UNH!
No split but your welcome!

Greg Ambrose