From:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:49 -0600
Doug Peterson writes:

> I may have been slow in noticing but the Pairwise Rankings are now available
> off USCHO, along with separate listings of RPI.  They aren't directly off the
> home page.  You need to go to the polls / ranking page.  My impatient waiting
> is over.

Note that RPI, KRACH, pairwise comparisons and BT-modified pairwise
comparisons have also been available for a while at
http://www.slack.net/~whelan/cgi-bin/tbrw.cgi?rankings

> One interesting thing in the RPI is to notice the weakness (if I am
> interpreting this correctly) of the opponents schedules for those at
> the top of the RPI.  As a for instance, I am used to seeing
> Minnesota have a opponents schedule rating (winning percentage) as
> one of the hardest.  This year Minnesota's opponents schedule is
> 23rd and St. Cloud at postion 9 in the RPI is 45th in opponents
> winning percentage.

On my ranking comparison page (see link above) I've also added a
"strength of schedule" table to compare the SOS measures used by KRACH
and RPI; note that Minnesota's schedule is 6th toughest in the country
and SCSU's 8th by KRACH's standards, but RPI's SOS measure has them at
23rd and 42nd, respectively.

I think what this means is that Minnesota and St. Cloud have teams on
their schedules with losing records against tough opponents.  (E.g.,
Alaska-Anchorage, who play the toughest schedule in the country by
either standard.)
                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Consider the alternative: http://slack.net/~whelan/cgi-bin/tbrw.cgi?kpairwise