From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:32:25 -0800
Being a Maine fan, I've had my share of disagreements on this list over
the years with UNH and BU faithful.  But stories I am hearing out of New
Hampshire in the wake of the Maine/UNH series should make all college
hockey fans proud.

First, the UNH boosters raised money Friday night for the coaches
foundation, which was established to help coaches like Shawn Walsh who
become ill (in Walsh's case with kidney cancer) with medical expenses.
The boosters put up their share of the 50-50 to the foundation, which was
worth as I understand it over $2000.

This check was presented to Walsh after the first period of the Saturday
night game and according the radio account here in Maine, most (if not
all) of the fans at UNH stood and cheered.

I also believe Walsh was the guest of honor at the Friends of UNH Hockey
lunch on Saturday.  It appears that people there were very respectful of
Walsh and were interested in his health, the team and his assessment of
the UNH team as well.

UNH fans have been some of the more vocal opponents of Walsh over the
years, but I am personally very proud of our neighbors for the class that
they showed this weekend.  They are a credit to college hockey.

On the same note, Walsh noted on the radio that as he was coming off the
ice following the presentation of the check to the coaches foundation, a
fan yelled at him (UNH fan).. "We are praying for you coach."  To which
someone near them counted, "Yeah, but we still think you are an SOB."
Walsh found this exchange amusing.  He thinks this intensity is one of the
great parts of college hockey I believe.  He doesn't expect any more love
from the Wildcat faithful than Jack Parker gets in Orono.

Also, it really appears that UNH coach Dick Umile and Walsh have a close
relationship.  Walsh spoke on the radio of riding to the lunch together
with Umile and how they talk regularly.  Umile has openly been one of
Walsh's best supporters since diagnosed with his illness.

These types of things soften the "sting" of a 4-1 loss Saturday to the
rival Wildcats, but we'll try for the split in early Feb.  Thank you to
UNH!

-Deron