From:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:32:52 -0500
At 9:24 AM -0500 11/9/00, Moller, Edward N. wrote in part:
>Giles Threadgold was unabashed in his hatred for BU.  A member of BC's 1949
>NCAA championship team, Threadgold was open and honest in his opinion of the
>Terriers, and had zero hesitation about voicing it with the press.  Whenever
>he officiated a BU game, you always knew that the other team had an extra
>skater.

Gosh.  This is a shock to me I though Giles hated Cornell!

The Cornell crowd was very loud and impolite whenever he officiated
in Lynah.  The crowd thought he deliberately made calls against
Cornell.  The more I watched him work especially in comparison to
other officials the more I respected him.  He got very emotionally
involved in the game and officiated in a very dramatic fashion that
was obvious to the crowd and players.  He knew the rules and I don't
think he made many real mistakes.  I recall Giles  being consistent
through out the games so the officiating was the same at the start of
the first period and at the end of the third unlike some others.
Giles did not loose control of a games where there was bad blood
between the two teams.  He could be very melodramatic breaking up
scrums , yelling at players and calling a lot of penalties if things
starting to degenerate.  In the final analysis I think he called good
games and made the game fun to watch while modern officials generally
try to blend into the boards.

I liked Jack Garrity a lot in part because he was much calmer than
Giles but very knowledgeable, correct and consistent.  If you did not
have Giles or Jack back in those days you might not have competent
officiating.  Having both of them was a rare treat--I think Jack
calmed Giles down a bit.  Overall I think the level and breadth of
competent officiating is much better today.

--Steve