From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:18:30 -0500
Clarkson University head coach Mark Morris recently announced that five
recruits have signed letters of intent to attend the University and
played hockey for the Golden Knights this coming season. The Class of
2003, comprising of three defensemen and two forwards, will help fill the
loss left by the three graduating seniors from this year s class,
forwards Ben Maidment and Mikko Ollila and defenseman Aaron Gates, along
with the early departure of sophomore defenseman Willie Mitchell.

Below is a brief summary on the individual members of the incoming
freshmen with quotes from Mark Morris.

CHRIS BAHEN
Left Defense, 6-1, 190, Markham, Ontario
11/16/80, Left Shot, Business
Milton Merchants - Ontario provincial Junior League
1998-99 Statistics: 32 gp - three goals, 14 assists, 17 points, 20
penalties
Lynne and Peter Bahen

"Chris Bahen is a smooth-skating Paul Coffey type of defenseman. With
added strength, he has the potential to play at a real high level,
possibly beyond his college years. He is a very intelligent puck handler
and highly skilled. He excels in all facets of the game. In time as he
adds strength and confidence, we feel he will be an outstanding player at
the Division I level. Chris is an excellent student with great potential
as a two-way player."

JOE CAROSA
Right Defense, 6-0, 180, Buffalo, New York
3/4/81, Right Shot, Business
St. Francis High School
1998-99 Statistics: n/a
Mary and Bob Carosa

"Joe Carosa is an all-star defenseman from the Buffalo area. Joe provides
a very competitive approach to his game. He is an exceptionally hard
worker with good skills. He will add depth and provide an outstanding
attitude which will add favorably to our defensive corps."

KEVIN O FLAHERTY
Center, 5-11, 175, Oakville, Ontario
11/6/78, Left Shot, Business
Milton Merchants - Ontario Provincial Junior League
1998-99 Statistics: 50 gp - 32 goals, 71 assists, 103 points, 28
penalties
Sheila and John O Flaherty

"Kevin O Flaherty is a skilled centerman with excellent vision and great
passing skills. Added body strength will really accentuate the best
qualities in his game. He has had a great deal of experience in Toronto
Tier II hockey and has been one of the more dynamic forwards in the
city s junior hockey league. Kevin, who is the nephew of former Clarkson
hockey player, coach and athletic director Bill O Flaherty, should be a
steady contributor to our program over the next four years."

DAVE REID
Right Defense, 6-1, 190, Brockville, Ontario
2/2/79, Right Shot, Business
Brockville Braves - Central Junior Hockey League
1998-99 Statistics: 52 gp - 14 goals, 28 assists, 42 points, 165
penalties
Barb and Peter Reid

"David Reid is a highly skilled, right-shot defenseman. He had a great
career with the Brockville Braves and provided them with steady play both
offensively and defensively. He has exceptional vision and great hands.
Above all, he is a character player and a guy who undoubtably will be a
popular player on our hockey team. We look forward to great things from
David. He brings a great deal of experience from playing in the Central
Junior Hockey League."

MIKKO RUUTU
Left Wing, 6-4, 187, Vantaa, Finland
9/10/78, Left Shot, Business
HIFK Junior A
1998-99 Statistics: n/a
Enna and Harri Ruutu

"Mikko Ruutu is a dynamic forward who has played at a high level in
Finland. He has a reputation as a skilled forward and an exceptionally
hard working, physical winger. Mikko has a bright future in college
hockey. He follows in the footsteps of his fellow countrymen - Jarmo and
Janne Kekalainen, Mikko Tavi, Marko Tuomainen and Mikko Ollila who have
attended Clarkson University. He is an engineering student who also
excels in the classroom."

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]