From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 12:29:16 -0400
Well, here's one person who thinks that the NCAA thinks the NCAA no beer
policy is a good thing.  I wasn't at Anaheim, but I was a the Fleet last
year, where similar conditions applied.

I agree that the ad you describe is condescending, but as for the policy
itself, I've witnessed enough alcohol-induced incidents at athletic event to
be very happy that it's not a part of the NCAA  events.  You ask "Do they
think I'll start punching out the mascots if I have a beer or two or three?"
Well my answer is that I don't know if YOU would but I'd be almost certain
that SOMEONE would start punching out, if not a mascot, a fan of the other
team.  With emotions running high, with passionate fans, and the amount of
taunting behavior, it's pretty much inevitable.  After my only  NFL game was
spoiled by a bunch of beer swilling jerks in the row behind me, and a few
NHL games in which I was grateful that my wife and children weren't with me,
I think the no alcohol policy is just fine.  I won't dispute that many fans
drink beer responsibly.  But I WILL argue that the negative effects of
drunken behavior (beer or barf on your seat, vulgarities yelled within
earshot of your child, fist fights) are far, far greater than the positive
effects of the availability of beer.  Sure, you can argue that your personal
experience might have been enhanced if you could have had a beer, but can
you argue that you didn't have a very, very, good experience without it?
Can you argue that some folks don't drink responsibly and create serious
disruptions?

And while we're on NCAA idiosyncracies, one of the things that I liked about
the Fleet Center last year was the absence of tacky advertisements on the
boards and on the ice surface.  To me, it looked a lot classier than its
usual appearance, which reminds me of a minor league baseball stadium (who
at least don't put advertisements in the middle of the playing field).

I agree with you that the NCAA is pious, pretentious, and hypocritical,
especially when it comes to money issues.  But the ban on beer and
commercials I support 100%.

Clay

[. . . ]