From:
Kirk Ahlberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:17:09 -0600
On Tue Jan 05 12:59:17 1999  Ed Moller wrote:

>Why should Doug Woog's situation at Minnesota be different than Ron
>Anderson's
>at Merrimack?  OK, I know that's an extreme example; the money matters at
> those
>two schools are obvious.  Curious mind just wants to know.

Money has nothing to do with Woog being on the hotseat.  The Gophers continue
to sell out every game at near 10,000 seats.  The state of Minnesota prides
itself on its hockey tradition and it has set a very high standard against
which all Gopher teams will be judged.  For most of my hockey-attentive life
the Gophers finished 1st or 2nd in the WCHA.  Sure, they haven't won the
National Championship since '79, but up until 2 years ago they were dominant
in the regular season.

As a result, it is very difficult for us Minnesotans to see this team
struggle.  Woog has always has a roster filled entirely with players from
Minnesota and gets his pick of the top players every year.  An occasional down
year might be acceptable, but this is 3 bad years in a row.

If the Nebraska football team fielded 3 straight .500 teams, I think you'd see
a coaching change.

We want Dean Blais!

kirk out.