From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1992 18:08:14 CST
The latest Sports Illustrated issue is their Winter Olympics Preview.
In it they give their medal predictions for all the sports.  There is
also an article on Team USA coach Dave Peterson.

The SI ice hockey predictions:
gold     Sweden
silver   Canada
bronze   CIS  (the former USSR)

Sounds reasonable to me.

The article about Dave Peterson is not very flattering for the
big guy and let's face it Dave is a big old tub of goo. :-)  There is the
usual litany of complaints:  too many players being shifted in and out,
Peterson is not a good teacher, and, finally, Peterson is rude to the press,
Most of the these comments are attributed to anonymous sources.  I felt
the article was rather unfair but that is the norm when discussing coaches.
The article also criticizes Hockey USA for their selection of Olympic
coaches in 1984(? Vairo) and 1988 & 1992(Peterson).  The writer seems to
think Herb Brooks should have been selected this year.  By the end of the
article the criticism of Peterson softens a bit.

All in all, I would suggest that US fans shouldn't get their hopes up too
high.  The media, TV in particular, tend to build up the hopes for USA
unrealistically and then dump on the team and coaches if expectations
aren't reached.

---mark grassl
"If it's not my build, it's my personality."  ---Charlie Meadows in
						   Barton Fink