From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:27:48 -0500
> I have a question for the UND brigade. The school president is resigning
> at the end of 98-99, and AD Terry Wanless seems to be madly trying to
> leave. Apparently he's been a finalist for three AD jobs recently. So is
> this a coincidence, or is something rotten in the City of Grand Forks?
> And what effect would Wanless' departure have on the hockey program?

The problem is not in Grand Forks, it's in Bismarck.  For the last 5 years
or so, the North Dakota State Legislature and the Governor have been
trying to dismantle the North Dakota State Higher Education System.  IMHO,
they're trying to slash-and-burn the system down to a couple of
institutions and raise tuition through the roof.  President Kendall Baker
(who was/is pro-student, and pro-UND) was forced to resign because he
wouldn't go along with this garbage.  I think that Mr. Wanless left (like
a lot of other administrators at UND have done in the last couple of
months) because he can read the writing on the wall.  Right now, the
future looks bleak and I can't blame Wanless for wanting out.

The hockey program will be in good shape as long as Dean Blais is in
charge, and if his assistants don't leave.

As for "High School sports during the summer", just remember that high
school sports are a big part of the culture of small-town North Dakota.
The WDAZ viewers in small towns want to hear about their teams, so the
station has to cover them.  Besides, summer is pretty much over as schools
in North Dakota are back in session.

Brian.

PS: If anyone wants to respond to my political comments, please do so over
private e-mail.

Fighting Sioux Hockey
Div. I National Champions:
1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997.