From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:46:41 -0400
I think that there is big misconception as to a walk-on.

There are recruited walk-ons, and then there are true walk-ons that just show up.
But most of those who show up are known by the coaching staff. They usually
contact the school to see when/if tryouts begin. So they usually know.

In my case, I contacted the school first. They then came  to see a game, I went
down for a visit (although not encouraged greatly), and then spent 5 years there.
First year was paid by myself, second year was paid by me for the first 2 quarters
and then basically wa son scholarship after that.

Told by my one coach that I would have been cut after the first year, but I had a
good attitude and was "good to have around" was how he put it.

I was always considered a walk-on. But I don't know if a school determines a
walk-on to be someone who pays their own way.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994

[log in to unmask] on 07/17/98 08:23:27 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]