From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 18:55:49 -0400
On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 18:32:17 -0400 "Joseph M LaCour (by way of D B
Doucette)" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

I asked:
With the rush of teams into D1 in the past few months, I've got to
wondering what is the optimal size of a conference?

DB said:
>One might ask their own school's AD or President, if they are in a
>conference which is in your view "too large".
>
>Just as with the pros, when there is expansion, it is only with the
>permission of those ALREADY "in", that teams are added.  You can
>believe it or not, but each time it happens, the "benefits" are touted
by
>spokespersons for the existing teams.
>
>Boycott the games against the "new" teams, perhaps ?

===
Ok, but who said anything about boycotting?

But if there is a 14 team conference as the CCHA may go to in the next
few years, what happens to schedules?  There is an 18 team D3 ECAC
Northeast which will have each team play each other ONCE during the
season to determine a champion.
As a fan of college hockey, would a Michigan fan like to play Michigan
State just once during the RS (and, for that matter, at Munn)?  But that
is what we're facing with these conferences getting larger and larger.

Personally, I LOVE an 8 team conference with a 28 game league schedule,
but that dinosaur has fast disappeared.

I think it was Paula Weston who wondered if we're expanding just for
expansion's sake.  I wondered what she meant then.  Now I know.

Joe

PS  I hate it when my mail server makes it look like I replied to myself.
 I do talk to myself on occaison, but this was the first time my e-mail
talked back to me.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]