From:
George Downing <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Downing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 21:16:10 PDT
On Mon, 18 May, Mike Bresina wrote:
----------
> > The NCAA allows atheletes of the age of 24 and 25 years old to compete in
> > hockey (and in all other sports I believe...but I'm not sure.) My question I
> > pose to you is this...is there anything wrong with that? If so...how would
> you
> > like it changed? Should a player that is granted a scholarship at 20 or 21
> > years old only be allowed to compete until they are 23?
>
> I don't see the point of ANY age limits...I'm also against the five-year
> rule...

Ok, my two cents on this: both rules, to me, seem to be enforcing the Student half of the Student/Athlete equation. The average student now takes 4 1/2 years to complete a four year degree - generally, because they need to work at the same time to afford it, although some, like myself, wait so long to declare a major that it takes a bit longer to finish :). So, although it probably wasn't the original intent of the rule, the five year rule would serve to keep student-athletes at the institute for about as long as the rest of the students.

As for age limits, in either direction: It would be unfair to impose a 22 or 23 year age limit, as that would assume that all student/athletes are ready both mentally and physically to enter college immediately upon graduating high school. Since a good chunk of students now wait a year or two before going to college, it would seem reasonable to allow the same leeway to student/athletes. But an upper limit of 25 or so seems reasonable; while the number of "non-traditional students" has increased recently, the majority of undergrads are still under 25. Plus, it helps level the playing field a little, requiring most college athletes to be of approximately (not "identical") similar levels of physical develpment.

The system may not be perfect, but as far as these two limits are concerned they seem to work well enough that they shouldn't become one of the NC$$'s worries in the near future.

George Downing
UNH '92