From:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:27:51 -0500
>I remember seeing a post from the UofAlaska Fairbanks awards ceremony
>stating that they selected MSU's Sean Berens as Most Respected Opponent.
>This sounds like a neat topic to fill a portion of the spring days after
>the season.
>
>For Michigan State, the choice seems easy, OSU Goalie Jeff Maund.  He
>gave us a heck of a time in the CCHA final and then stoned us bad in the
>West REgional.  No real goal scorer stands out, because the Spartans
>didn't usually give up a lot of goals.  Boisvert for OSU seemed to play
>well against us, but we pretty much neutralized most of the big guns we
>played, like Muckalt for UofM, Dan Boyle for Miami.
>
>So, who were the pains in the necks candiates for this year.  Whoops, I
>mean who would receive most respected opponent for your favorite teams?

===========Reply===========

Bret--

Thanks for noticing. Here is the text of the Award presented to Behrens on
4/10/98. Glen Keeney is getting the prize to Coach Mason, who'll get it to
Berens. It was an honor and privelege to have him eat us alive.  :-(

=========>>>>>Begin Quoted Stuff

Most Honored Opponent Award

UAF Hockey Banquet
April 10, 1998

This award celebrates the game of college hockey, and reminds us of why
ours is a great game to watch, to play, and to appreciate.

At a time when much of athletics has been perverted by the people who are
supposed to be protecting it, this award honors the players who are
actually on the ice doing their jobs and playing their game.

We have recently seen the NCAA forbid members of the victorious US Women's
Olympic Hockey Team from appearing on the front of Wheaties Boxes, or risk
losing their remaining collegiate eligibility. We have seen numerous
examples of intercollegiate administrators skimming and diverting funds
generated by athletics, diverting those funds to their own pockets or those
of family members or associates. We have seen the athletic programs at
large and prestigious institutions come under the influence of commercial
enterprises like Nike, while smaller programs are left to fend for
themselves.

The message seems to be that everybody gets to profit from the activity of
student athletes, except for the players themselves.

While there is no large award for the player named as UAF's Most Honored
Opponent (a good thing, since the NCAA would be all over the recipient and
the donors), at least this award honors the on-ice achievements of the
individual felt to have played the most valiantly against the Nanooks. The
recipient is not necessarily the best player we have seen, but he is the
grittiest, hardest-working, best performer the Nanooks have faced all year.

Looking at our opponents in this way not only reminds us of the abilities
of the players we've competed against, it reminds us of the fun and
challenge of the game itself. It is through playing against exceptional
players that we learn more not only about the game, but about ourselves. By
defining that which we honor in our opponents, we establish goals and
standards for ourselves.

Some of the finalists for this year's award include Bill Muckalt
(University of Michigan), Hugo Boisvert (Ohio State), Aniket Dhadphale and
Benoit Cotnoir (Notre Dame), and Tyler Harlton (Michigan State). All have
played exceptionally well against the Nanooks this year.

The winner of the Most Honored Opponent Award this year epitomizes hard
work, attention to fundamentals, and the unquenchable desire to do what
needs to be done when it needs doing.  He has been widely regarded as the
finest defensive forward in the CCHA, but against the Nanooks (and others),
his play has been typified by more than defense. He goes into corners and
comes out with the puck. Despite relatively small physical stature, he is
hard-nosed, protects his less physical team mates, and backs down from no
one. He wins face-offs, makes passes, and finishes scoring opportunities
with deadly accuracy. He plays with obvious joy and a clear love of the
game.

The prize is an NHL hockey photo book, autographed and signed by the
Nanooks. The opportunity to present it turns Good Friday into Great Friday.

This is hereby presented to the Nanooks Most Honored Opponent for the
1997-'98 season: from Michigan State University, Sean Berens.

=========>>>>>End Quoted Stuff

--Jeff Partnow ([log in to unmask])
UAF-- Gonna be fine by '99!