From:
Iyer Venkatesan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Iyer Venkatesan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:11:17 -0700
My memories of NYC college hockey coverage are faint because there was little
and I left the area some time ago.  Here's what I recall.

> Oh, I get it now -- the guest is the NY Times Mets beat writer who also
> happens to be a Michigan guy and mentioned Brendan Morrison on the air
> (hence the next caller's interest), but still, first reference I've ever
> heard to the game in the NYC market.

On the same radio station, about 9 yrs ago, Pete Franklin who was hosting the
key "afternoon drive time" segment at WFAN inteviewed RPI's Mike Adessa about
the possibility of him being the next Ranger's coach, among other things.  After
the interview, Franklin commented that hockey news from Adessa and "Rensselaer
Tech" warranted news coverage.

The 84-85 championship RPI team got coverage from the NYC network affiliates
after they won (I specifically remember Marv Albert covering it).

Steve Levy, who worked at WFAN for a while, mentioned college hockey indirectly
while talking about the Blues and Adam Oates in 1990.  He specifically mentioned
Oates and RPI: "I saw Adam Oates play college at RPI and the way he handled the
puck, he was a man among boys".

So, I don't think Levy is foreign to college hockey, though his work on ESPN and
ESPN radio may have prevented him from watching games this year.

It would appear from my recollection that only RPI news made it into NYC
coverage, but other posters said Walsh came on WFAN, so perhaps they have
extended their coverage.

Iyer