From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 21:52:07 -0500
Mark Lewin and Kevin Todd pretty much covered all my observations.  I too
was very surprised Heffler didn't get the starting nod, and DiFrancesco
certainly showed why he will be a repeat all-ECAC.  In Symington's defense
I would also cite thelack of defense.  The SLU D's gave the Engineer
forwards way too much space.  Much of the time the forwards roared through
the center zone and had plenty of time to pick out the trailer as he
neared the net.  Symington did make a couple of really good saves,
especially the consecutive 2-1 breakaway SHG attempts.  For RPI Laing was
adequate, but he was afforded the luxury of playing with a lead for most
of the game.  Once again I reiterate: Scott Prekaski is about to take the
#1 spot, although I doubt Fridge will change the rotation during the
regular season.

With the win RPI sits fourth, which is a very important place to be in a
Final Five playoff picture.  The two teams they have to beat to get a
desirable playoff spot loom in two weeks--match-ups at Colgate's and
Cornell's home ice, the former having giving the Engineers the most
problems of late.  Perhaps the fans will be treated to a stretch run after
all.
Brian Morris                    RPI Engineers--Play-off Potential