From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 23:07:00 -0100
The fine folks at USAToday have brought us a small Q&A session with
committee chair Rick Comley on their web site.  The url is:

  http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/shc/shcfront.htm

Thanks to Tim Brule for pointing this out to me.  To whet your appetite,
here is Rick's answer to the Lowell question from the page.
______
Why is UMass-Lowell Westward bound instead of Clarkson?

Our No. 1 goal was to prevent teams from the same conference from facing
each other in the regionals. If UMass-Lowell switched places with Clarkson,
the River Hawks would potentially face Boston U. in the second round. The
committee felt both teams were equal in comparing their effect on the
attendance for the East Regional. We then went to criteria (RPI, head to
head, common opponents, teams under consideration, last 20 games), which
Clarkson won. When factored with UMass.-Lowell potentially facing BU in
the second round, we decided to send UMass-Lowell to the West Regional.
______

Be sure to check out the NCAA Championship Index for lots of good
information, including rosters, brackets, and game previews.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93