From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:11:00 EST
First Steve G wanted program builders, now he wants the top five
active coaches...which I take to mean bench coaches, and that
would be a different list than program builders, but...

Assuming that you still want to build the Mankato State program
quickly and successfully and that you could have any active Div
I coach...not former coach or assistant coach (and I've heard from
both ends of the spectrum for mentioning Grant Standbrook in my
Shawn Walsh a Div I coach, I'll take:

(1) Jeff Jackson (Lake Superior)
(2) Shawn Walsh (Maine/Beaver Plant Operations Inc)
(3) Ron Mason (Michigan State)
(4) George Gwozdecky (Denver)
(5) Paul Pooley (Providence)

I can't put Red Berenson on the list.  He's a Michigan man.  Call it
arrogance, but Berenson bleeds maize and blue and I don't think
he could fully put his heart into any other program.  I'm sure that Mason
bleeds green and white, but before that he bled Laker blue and
Falcon orange.  Coaching your alma mater is an entirely different
ballgame.

Jason Moy asked:
>St. Lawrence's magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 6 with Yale or
Union.
>This is pretty early, and if it is done it's the earliest to my
recollection.
>Can anyone think of any other sooner (besides all teams making the
playoffs)?

If you're referring to the ECAC only, you're out of my league (literally).
However, Lake Superior, Michigan, Michigan State and Western
Michigan have already clinched spots in the upcoming CCHA playoffs,
and only 8 of 11 teams make the playoffs this season.

John H ([log in to unmask])