From:
"Tuthill, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tuthill, Richard
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 08:13:00 EST
     In a front page feature article in this morning's Hartford Courant,
 Katherine Farrish writes that the final approval for $1.0 billion in
bonding authority has been given by the CT State Bond Commission.   The vote
was 9 to 1,  and will empower the UConn trustees to autonomously borrow for
physical plant refurbishment and upgrading over the next decade.   Included
in the Phase 1 project list is a line item which reads "Ice Rink Enclosure
  ...   $2.47 million".   Although the article did not specify the first six
projects for which bonding will be sought in February,  I believe the rink
project is on the list.

     A question I have for the this discussion list:  excluding the
refrigeration equipment and the associated piping and rink floor (which is
quite new in Storrs),  can a decent building be put up for that price?   I
believe the plan is to take down the current roof and put up a building over
the current ice surface.   Can it be done for that price?   Simsbury used a
steel building construction with a masonry entryway which was quite
tasteful.   That was supposedly $8.5MM but was a twin rink with two sets of
refrigeration and a couple of Zambonis.   Do we have anyone on the list who
is knowledgeable in this sort of thing?

     -- Dick Tuthill