From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 19:58:14 -0400
Tony Buffa writes

>They came out and got 2 goals and then I recall a gazillion shots on the
>Clarkson goalie, mostly by Berenson on rush after rush.  I think the
>goalie was Wayne, something... Gibbons???  Anyone??  He made
>saves with every body part imaginable and UM lost 5-4.  I have no idea
>what Berenson scored, but I can just imagine how Clarkson felt, winning
>against Berenson and what was probably the best college team that year.

My mother always taught me to be kind to my elders :-), so I
pulled out the Clarkson media guide to find that:

Clarkson defeated Michigan, 5-4, in the 1962 NCAA championship
semifinals at Utica's Memorial Auditorium. The 22-3-1 Golden
Knights fell to Michigan Tech, 7-1, in the final (perhaps the
winners were rallied by the Clarkson fans chanting "LET'S GO
TECH!" :-)). The Clarkson goalie was indeed Wayne Gibbons,
and the Golden Knights stars were First Team All-ECAC
forwards Hal Petterson (19 goals, 31 assists) and Corby Adams
(21 goals) and defenseman Cal Wagner (an All-America the
following year along with fellow defender Pat Brophy). Not
that I have any clue who these fellows were :-). I do know
the coach, though ... Len Ceglarski.

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine