From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 12:10:23 -0500
I do not think it all that unusual for college hockey players(or most college
athletes in general) to be older than the general college population.
 Remember in most of Canada there is an extra year of secondary
education(grade 13) and many kids from the US need the extra year of Juniors
or a post grad year at a prep school to get the extra games to be ready for
college hockey.

On the subject of admissions, sure some students may be admitted that may not
have been accepted without hockey's boost, but they still have to stay in
school.  I believe(I can't pinpoint the data) that hockey in general has a
high graduation rate and you rarely(especially comparred to other NCAA big
revenue generators) hear of academically ineligible hockey players.

By the way it is even more common to see older players in Div. III.  I think
it is great to see kids "chasing the dream".