From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 10:10:47 -0500
  I really don't see how hockey players coming to college to try to play
hockey and try to make it to the NHL differs much from the regular
student body.  I went to BU's college of engineering and many (even a
high percentage of my friends) admitted that they cared very little about
getting an education, and that they were there to get the engineering
degree and then get a high paying engineering job.

  People go to college for various reasons:  the social environment (to
party!), the sports (to play or even watch), and to advance their chosen
career.  For many hockey players, their chosen career is hockey.  I
really don't see how you can be so critical of a system that gives them
an education (whether they want it or not) and allows them the potential
to advance their career if they do well.

  Sure, many of the players care more about their career and future
income than about their learning.  But, so do a lot of other people.  If
some big company came along and offered a high paying job to a college
student, I doubt very seriously whether many people wouldn't abandon
their learning and take the opportunity.  In the case of college hockey
players, hockey is their career and the professional teams are their big
companys.

  Again, this discussion has come up a number of times, particularly when
discussing college hockey players who leave their schools early for the
NHL or the minor leagues.  I still see very little difference between
what goes on with college hockey players and with other college
students.  Their career paths are just a little different from those of
everybody else.

adam bryant
BU '89