From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 17:10:27 EDT

>Interesting to see that Niagra is Goiing D1.  Last year in the Albany TU
>there was a series of articles regarding several Metro Atlantic Ath. Conf.
>and Big East Schools adding "cost contained" D1 hockey in order to meet ncaa
>requirements to stay Div 1 in hoops.  Currently Siena, St John, Georgetown,
>Marist, and 4 or five others play in that league for football, Niagra,
>Canisius, St Bon, Villanova, were others mentioned as hockey possibilities.

Just a quick note... Canisius and Villanova already have Division I hockey
programs, though both play in Div. III leagues (Canisius in the ECAC West and
Villanova in the ECAC South) and neither is eligible for the Div. I tournament
(since they don't play at least 20 Div. I teams).  St. Bonaventure had a team
a few years ago, but I believe they are no longer varsity.

>                                On the other hand it would give hockey up to
>a dozen more teams, voting teams, and might even be enough so that the
>tourney would be opened up to 16 teams.  If it gives hockey more clout with
>the ncaa...GREAT.

I believe hockey would have to increase to at least 64 teams for a 16-team
tourney to be considered, and right now, hockey has 50 (51?) Div. I teams, only
44 of which are eligible for the tourney.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I thought with Nixon and Carter we had reached the bottom of the barrel, but
 then Dan Quayle came along and proved that if you lift up the barrel..."
-- Bill Maher