From:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 02:16:24 EST
No offense to BU and their hockey club, but I hope LSSU beats them again. I
would love it. I think Jeff Jackson deserves a medal for taking his young
team to the tourney this year. I don't think it will be 9-1 like last year,
but I think it will be a good game nonetheless.
One problem I've seen with BU, through my own observation, is their trouble
with the big games. If Herlofsky's hot, they'll win. If he's hot, then they
don't stand a chance. (I mean to say NOT in that last sentence, SORRY!)
That is the type of team BU is. I think they can win 9-7 or 8-4 games, but it
is a lot tougher for them to do so. Even though their offense is pretty good,
they're still BU; the key to their game is defense. If it's off, they're off.
I really think LSSU can beat them. They did it last year, when they were
thought by some to be the weaker team. I think there's just SOMETHING about
the NCAA tournament that makes some teams better. Whether it's LSSU in hockey,
North Carolina in basketball, or anyone else for that matter. It has a little
to do with pride. Maybe Jack Parker's instilled that traditional tournament
pride in his team, but I wonder about it. I think you have to have won a
championship within the last few years, and maybe even have some players left
from such a team to have a really good idea of what that's like. I think that's
why Lake Superior almost beat Maine in '93, and why they rebounded so well the
next year. BU hasn't won it all since '79, and I think that's a bit long, even
though Parker remains the constant from that group. I just think some players
need to have that experience.
Maybe the fact that BU's players have been to the championship game before is
enough to get them past the Lakers. However, with the respect I have for Jeff
Jackson, I have to root for the guys with the anchors on their jerseys.
Later,
Deej
GO BLACK BEARS!!!