From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 22:46:17 CST
We had a wild time at the Final Five! I am *almost* hockeyed-out, must have
been those three OT games that did it. It was sheer torture to sit through
those OT's that involved the Gophers (I HATE overtime, it drives me nuts with
anxiety). But I must say that the Denver - Minnesota OT was the best part of
all the games this weekend. It was truly exciting. Knowing that the Gophers
didn't have to win to make it to the big show helped alot. Both teams played
great and it was hard to see Denver lose, as it just as easily could have been
the Gophers!

The funniest moment came during the Denver-Minnesota game. Mullin started out
in goal, but was replaced by crowd favorite Wallinheimo. During the second
period one of the advertisements on the boards started to peel off. After the
officials were alerted, one of them started to put it back on, Wallinheimo
went over to help him, making exaggerated moves with his glove on. Then, just
as they were about done, Wallinheimo turns around and smooths the panel with
his butt and wiggled! All the women and girls were screaming with laughter at
that cute trick! I turned to Paula Biever and said "Now all the girls will
want his room number!"

I know that Gopher Co-Captain Scott Bell has commented that he thinks
Wallenheimo is a joke, but he *is* a character and I think he's pretty
entertaining. Adds a bit of fun to the game, lightens the load so to speak. We
also have discussed this topic here on Hockey-L about a month ago, so no need
to beat a dead horse here. :-)

It was great to meet Eric Schmautz and Tom White from Denver. I missed seeing
Mike Breitenbach from South Dakota, but David Wojitowitz (sp?) came by and
said hello. There wasn't a Hockey-L get together, things were just too nuts in
St. Paul on Friday and on Saturday the first game lasted 3.25 hours! So that
cut down on any dinner plans we might have had.

The goal that was waved off during the Minnesota-CC game was technically a
correct call. I watched the replay after I got home and Bonin did have one
skate in the crease for about two seconds and was trying to get out, but there
was a CC player there and Bonin had trouble getting out. The MSC commentator,
Frank Mazzocco said that the call was good, but that *many* times this does
happen during a game and it is NOT called. So, it could have gone either way,
and the officials chose to call things tight. The fact that the same thing
happened in the CC-Wisconsin game, where CC had a player skate through the
crease just as a goal was scored, made me feel better. At least there was
consistency!

Towards the end of the CC-Wisconsin game, when Wisconsin went up by two, a guy
who sits behind me thought it was all over. I told him, hey wait a minute,
remember what CC did to us! And sure enough CC came back and tied it up. I
just loved the gleeful dance that Geranozzo did after he scored the tying goal
and got the hat. Pity that CC didn't hang on for the win. There were a lot of
folks in Maroon and Gold cheering for you! (and also some of the Denver fans, I
believe)

It was also announced that WCHA Supervisor of Officials Greg Shephard, plans to
 hang up his skates next season and just do supervising. He is also on the St.
Paul city council, and works for NSP.

I'm looking forward to the games this weekend. Here in the Twin Cities, I do
believe that MSC plans to televise the Friday game, but it will be a feed from
 whichever company is doing the work in Madison.

May all the teams play well and the best teams come out on top!

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!