From:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 15:34:44 -0500
I just thought I'd add my two cents on the discussion regarding polls and
whether or not Harvard should be ranked without having played any games.
First of all, I don't put too much stock in polls and the only way one
can tell whether one team is better than another is to settle it on the
ice.  However, I also want to point out that the Crimson HAS played a
game.  Last weekend, they faced the University of New Brunswick in an
exhibition and defeated them 6-2.  Although I definitely saw room for
improvement in Harvard's game, overall I was quite impressed with their
performance.  Their defense was specially solid considering they lost
their "big three" veteran blueliners from last year (Sean McCann, Derek
Maguire, and Lou Body).  If you want to compare New Brunswick to
better-known teams, they also recently played exhibitions against Boston
University (a 7-6 Terrier victory) and Boston College (a 3-3 draw).  But
again, I don't think you can compare Harvard to BU and BC until they play
those teams (Harvard-BU on Nov 22, Harvard-BC on Feb 13).  Should
Clarkson and Vermont be ranked higher than Harvard?  Again, only time
will tell.  But I am definitely excited about the expectations
surrounding these two fine teams because it will make the ECAC that much
more exciting this year.  Forget about the polls and lets play hockey!

Tony Garcia, Harvard '94
GO CRIMSON!!!!!