From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 1994 05:36:18 GMT
Mike poses an interesting question.  What rules do Union College
follow?

I'm certain they don't give out scholarships, as Coach Delventhal said
last March (not May, sorry).

Also, when Union announced their move to Division I in hockey President
Hull stated the same.

In addition, NCAA rule 20.6.1.2. states:
  A Division III member institution that has a sport classified in Division
  I must apply the rules of both divisions, or the more stringent rule if
  both divisions have a rule concerning the same issue.

The Division III rule regarding number of games is 25, Division I is 34.
By my definition of "stringent", 25 is the more stringent.  However, Union's
game total is greater than that of the Division III rule.

There is a loophole, but this does not seem to apply to Union.  NCAA
rule 20.6.1.2.1 states:
  If a Division III member institution conducts a men's or women's sport
  that was classified in Division I during the 1982-83 academic year, the
  Division III Steering Committee, by a two-thirds majority of its members
  present and voting, may approve waivers to the application of the
  Division III regulations to such a sport.  This provision also applies
  to such an institution that later reclassifies a sport for the opposite
  set to Division I.

These rules are straight from the 1993-94 NCAA Manual, so they may have been
updated, though I had not heard so.  In addition, it says nothing really
about a team that upgraded itself after the 1982-83 academic year, though it
implies they would be under DIII regulations.  However, Union is playing more
than 25 games, so we return to Mike's question.

What rules are Union playing under?

I'd like to know also.

Kurt Stutt