From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 1994 16:06:09 EDT
Mike writes:
>Dave Delchamps writes:
>>   Well, last night I had a beer with the Lynah Rink Zamboni driver,
>>and he told me that this year's rink planning is behind schedule because
>>the Cornell men's team was trying to add two more games.
>
>This is a slightly different situation...I believe Cornell can add two
>more games because they currently have scheduled 5 nonconference
>games, and two are in the Can/Am Challenge in Toronto against Toronto
>and York.  They could keep the schedule as is, or they could claim an
>exemption for the games in Canada and add up to two more.

I suppose the Big Red could add a couple more games, but looking at the
schedule, I'm not sure where they would put them.  There's a possible mid-
week date available right before exams, and maybe Cornell could schedule an
opponent during the week before they play Army (a Sunday afternoon game in
January), but that looks to be about it.  Unless they're thinking about
scheduling mid-week games during the ECAC's mad dash to the finish over the
last five or six weeks of the season.  I hope not.

If the Big Red wants to schedule more games, they would almost certainly
have to petition the Ivy League, since they are already at the Ivy limit of
27.  The NC$$ would have no problem with Cornell claiming an exemption for
the two Can/Am games (a moot point, since the Big Red is nowhere near the
official 34-game limit), but the ECAC, or rather the Ivies, probably would.
There have been situations in the past where teams have planned to parti-
cipate in games which would not have counted toward the NC$$ limit, only to
have the ECAC tell them that they couldn't because they would be over the
ECAC limit.  (As previously reported here on HOCKEY-L, RPI had to withdraw
from a tournament in Alaska a few years ago because the Ivies blocked their
participation on those grounds.  At the risk of re-igniting the flames on
this one, I'll mention that Brown went in their place, even though parti-
cipating in the tournament put the Bears over the Ivy League's game limit...
hmm, maybe Cornell wouldn't have anything to worry about...)

At any rate, on the latest Cornell schedule I have, I notice that there is
no season-opening exhibition game; the Big Red almost always has one against
a Canadian team.  Perhaps that's one of the games.  The Red-White scrimmage,
always a late addition, might be the other.  I guess we'll find out soon
enough...
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '94.5