From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 May 1994 10:28:50 EDT
The change that I'd most like to see is the reinstitution of 4-on-4's and
3-on-3's.  I've been complaining for years (even before the NHL went back)
that not penalizing the teams for matching minors was ridiculous.  I think
this really opens up the game and thus makes it much more exciting.

I, too, have been unhappy with all the ties as of late.  The shootout's a
great idea, but does this mean that Hockey East is going to do something
different from the rest of the NCAA?  I'm not sure I like this idea, then.
 Also, if there is going to be a shootout, let's have a clear winner -
i.e. the winner gets their two points and the loser gets none.  (I'm
probably in the minority here, but I don't like the idea that the loser
still gets a point - although I could probably be convinced.)  I've never
had much experience watching shootouts, but if they're typically as
exciting as the Gold Medal game in Lillehammer, then certainly the fans
will be entertained!

Some have argued that they'd like to see us go back to a ten-minute
overtime.  I think this would decrease the number of ties - the time frame
becomes too long for both teams to go into a defensive shell.  Although, I
wonder if the extra 5 minutes added to the end of the game will mean more
tired players and the potential for more injuries.....

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Univ. of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988    (Go River Hawks????)
[log in to unmask]                          Is is October yet??????