From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 May 1994 08:52:41 EDT
> From:         Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: New part-time WCHA Commissioner

> Now, where a possible conflict may arise that I can see, is if the
> commissioner needs to rule on something that may affect his own team
> (where he is also employed by one of the teams, as McLeod will be and
> DeGregorio currently is).  For example, in 1988 and 1989 then-commish
> Stu Haskell handed down suspensions to players involved in brawls.
> Haskell was not employed by any of HE's teams.  However, suppose
> Minnesota-Duluth were to be involved in a brawl, or Merrimack.  Or,
> suppose one of the teams battling for position with UMD or MC were
> involved in a brawl.  If the commissioner were to hand down a ruling
> that seemed to benefit his team, then there would certainly be charges
> of conflict of interest, IMO.

Sort of a tough position to be in...  If you don't come down hard on your
school, then of course opposing fans will cry foul - that there is
definitely a conflict of interest.  Yet, if you do come down hard, then
your own people will accuse you of being too tough just to avoid
accusations of partiality!!

I had a friend in high school who's father was the principal.  A bit of
the same situation, no?

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Univ. of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988    (Go River Hawks????)
[log in to unmask]                          Is is October yet??????