From:
Bob Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 1994 09:10:22 -0400
David Reusch stated "Turning to heated rivalries, having followed the Black
Bears since '83-'84, I'd have to say I can't think of one team that would
rank as the most hated opponent over that whole time span.  As someone
else said, it may have to do with how successful the other teams are....."

Unlike some sports where a win over your traditional rival can make or break a
season (eg. Ohio State-Michigan football), I believe that rivals come and go.
BG's traditional rival was Ohio State, and probably stems from the original
CCHA days and the mega-school vs. smaller school in-state syndrome.  However,
as the CCHA developed Michigan State became the hated rival, not due to any
tradition but due to success of programs (and lack of success at OSU).  In the
past few years, with BG fielding middle-of-the-pack teams, I've noticed a
lessening of intensity during the MSU-BG matches.  So I'd have to agree with
David that the "rival" situation in college hockey is dynamic and is often
dependent on the ebb and flow of a team's fortunes.

Bob Hall
BG 'Class of a Long Time Ago